[blindLaw] ABYY FineReader Stability with Jaws?

Angela Matney amatney at loeb.com
Mon Aug 5 19:50:24 UTC 2019

Laura, one quick observation: Without addressing the need for precision when, say, referring to line numbers or making other references to the PDFs that are required for your job, I just want to add that converting files to another format may not take the amount of time one might expect, particularly if you use a mainstream solution. I don’t know how long it takes Kurzweil to convert a PDF because I don’t use that product. In the past, I’ve used Abbyy Finereader; nowadays, I use Nuance Power PDF. Each of these can OCR a file of several hundred pages in a matter of minutes and give good results, barring handwriting or other unusual attributes of the file. I’m in no way saying that we don’t need a better way to access PDF files directly; I’m just suggesting that converting a PDF to Word or another format of choice isn’t necessarily a process that takes hours and hours.

Having said this, it’s certainly true that if you have many, many files, there will be a good amount of time involved. This has happened to me before (involving due diligence for a merger and documents from the other side’s data room). But I’m not sure that the method I used ultimately took more time than I would have spent performing OCR on the PDFs, which would have had to be done in any case because they were images.

I can’t comment on using any of these applications to read PDFs directly. In my mind, converting files to another format is analogous to printing vs reading the PDF on-screen, and while it’s not perfect, it generally works for my purposes.

I hope you’re able to find a solution quickly.

Best,

Angie

Angela Matney, CIPP/US
Attorney at Law
[Loeb & Loeb LLP]<http://www.loeb.com/>
Loeb and Loeb LLP
901 New York Avenue NW, Suite 300 East | Washington, DC 20001
Direct Dial: 202.618.5038 | Fax: 202.403.3407 | E-mail: amatney at loeb.com<mailto:amatney at loeb.com>
Los Angeles | New York | Chicago | Nashville | Washington, DC | San Francisco | Beijing | Hong Kong | www.loeb.com<http://www.loeb.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender. Please destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you, Loeb & Loeb LLP.