[blindlaw] Formatting Captions

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:40:15 UTC 2019

There's no uniform answer to that.  Wherever you work is going to have
 different conventions for how they want documents to look, as is every
 federal and state court.

 My general advice is to strip away as many auto-formatting features in
 word as you can so that you have complete control over the document
 yourself.  I also strongly advise changing the features so that when
 material is copied into the document, formatting is merged.  This
 drastically, like seriously drastically cuts down on the number and
 type of "blindness-related" errors that I used to have associated with
 copying and pasting from Westlaw or other PDF documents or documents
 from Kurzweil, etc.  I've also found that turning on the jaws feature
 that notifies me when spacing has changed is helpful, because it has
 caught a number of instances where word randomly went from double to
 single or vise versa without my telling it too.

 If you have an assistant who can make templates for you so that you
 can just plug in the text in the appropriate place, that could work
 too.  Although I still find that that method leads to more errors than
 when I do all of the structural formatting at the end.  Every person
 is going to be different though, the key is figuring out what works
 for you.