[blindlaw] Social Security benefits representation

Paul Wick wickps at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 01:58:21 UTC 2019

Dear Scott,

I’ve been involved in Assisting SSA claimants in one way or another for most of the last eight years. Everything you could possibly want to know about the process is on the agency website www.ssa.gov. The first thing to know about the process is that how much you can charge and what you can charge for is regulated by statute and The code of federal regulations. You cannot charge an hourly rate for anything, and can only collect A contingent fee of 25% of the claimants past due benefits (I.e. 1/4 of the lump sum benefit check that the claimant receives representing benefits paid from the time SSA determines their disability onset and the approval of their application, subject to time limitations. As such, you have to be able to live on credit cards or other sources as the administrative process does not result in regular payouts even if you win most of your cases unless you have a critical mass of them.
Nearly all relevant SSA paperwork can be done online. A larger issue in accessing claimants medical records which are often handwritten. SSA produced an electronic file using TIF files which are unreadable by screen readers.
If you like helping people as much as, or more than the law; this can be a great area; just be aware that even in smaller cities there are already usually half a dozen people already doing it; often paired with doing workers comp.
I personally only take cases at the appellate level, as I feel like at the initial application stage, there is no legal skill involved, and your just taking people’s money to act as a scribe.
Hope this helps,

Paul Wick

Sent from my iPhone