[blindLaw] Comments in Microsoft Word 2016

Angela Matney amatney at loeb.com
Thu Sep 12 20:41:06 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I'm using the latest build of JAWS 2019, and it has helped with some issues related to track-changes. It seems, though, that, at least for me, there are some new issues with comments.

I'm not getting consistent reports that one comment is a "reply" to another comment. (To be fair, I can't remember how prevalent this issue was before, but it's definitely still present.)

I've also had the experience where I'm trying to delete a particular comment, but that comment is a reply to one that I need to keep, and I end up deleting the original comment in addition to the reply.

I've also found that I often have to arrow left one character to interact with a comment after I've selected it via the list that you bring up with control-shift-apostrophe. I didn't have to do this in prior versions of JAWS.

Finally, some comments don't seem to show up consistently in the list, and sometimes, it's hard to position the cursor so that I can have them read, despite the fact that JAWS is set to read comments when it encounters them. This is particularly true if the comments are made to text that was revised and track-changes is enabled.

Is anyone else having these issues? Does anyone have any suggestions? I may call Vispero / Microsoft re this, but I wanted to get a sense as to whether anyone else is experiencing anything similar.

Thanks everyone,

Angie

Angela Matney, CIPP/US
Attorney at Law
[Loeb & Loeb LLP]<http://www.loeb.com/>
Loeb and Loeb LLP
901 New York Avenue NW, Suite 300 East | Washington, DC 20001
Direct Dial: 202.618.5038 | Fax: 202.403.3407 | E-mail: amatney at loeb.com<mailto:amatney at loeb.com>
Los Angeles | New York | Chicago | Nashville | Washington, DC | San Francisco | Beijing | Hong Kong | www.loeb.com<http://www.loeb.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender. Please destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you, Loeb & Loeb LLP.