[blindLaw] Discrimination

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 18:18:25 UTC 2019

Meredith, I am so shocked and sorry that someone asked you that in an
interview.  Sanho and others, I'm happy to speak about this off list
to share my tips and tricks for how I navigated potential
discrimination.

But if there's one dead horse I'll keep beating over and over again,
it's that we as a community need to be prepping blind lawyers to be
able to present the best work from a **purely visual** point of view
as well as in substance.  And I don't think we do this or focus on
this nearly enough.  I readily acknowledge that a lot of legal
formatting/writing is silly and formalistic, but I'm also not
surprised when a sloppy visual appearance of work is used as a proxy
for how good the employee will b.  I'm also not terribly surprised
when employers don't know if a person who is good at taking law school
exams will also be good at the additional things that a law associate
is also expected to do in addition to his substantive work.  Compile
excerpts of record.  Read handwritten filings.  Cite check.  Proofread
and catch every single little thing that is out of place or every time
a partner mistypes something.  Yes, we can clearly do all of these
things, barring accessibility barriers beyond our control.  But the
point is that being a baby lawyer is about a heck of a lot more than
writing substantive briefs or standing up and arguing in court, and
those skills aren't going to be attested to by one's law school
grades.  And we just need to accept that as reality and figure out
ways to anticipate and address it.  Because if a hiring partner
doesn't think an applicant is able to do all of those other things
that have nothing to do with legal reasoning, then it's not altogether
unreasonable to opt not to hire that person.  Our job is to show them
through example and education that those beliefs are false.  I firmly
believe it is this set of skills, not whether a person can handle
depos, that is subconsciously in the back of the minds of people doing
the hiring.  Again, I'm not willing to divulge more on a public list,
but this firm belief comes from incredibly candid conversations I've
had along the way with folks who are very much in a position to know.

I once again suggest that NABL hold a workshop.  How to bluebook
(note, this is different from "how to learn how to bluebook."  You
might think you're doing it right, only to find out that you're not at
all and someone at your workplace has been following behind after you
and fixing your mistakes.  This happens, trust me.  Other agenda items
might include "Common formatting errors ."  Do you 1. Know the
difference between a straight and smart quote/apostrophe? 2. Know how
to check the spacing after each line in a document and make sure it's
uniform? 3. Know that any changes you make above the line such as
justification, font change, etc, will not also be reflected in
footnotes unless you go into the footnote pane and implement the same
changes?  4. know about things like non-breaking hyphens and
widow/orphan spacing and know why they're used and when to use them?
I'm sure some of us know the answers to these example questions, but
many, many people do not.  I believe so sincerely, after talking to
everyone from professors to judges to law partners at big firms to
lawyer friends, that this is the biggest thing we can do to make
others comfortable with the quality of our work and comfortable hiring
us.  I could not have my current job, or many others that I've taken,
without these skills.

End rant, and back to work I go.

Laura