[blindLaw] Prospective law student

James T. Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 18:28:38 UTC 2020

 Chelsea,As someone who has done disability rights work, I have a few thoughts. First, one does not typically specialize in law school, nor do I think it does much good to try. The goal of a J.D. is to learn how to think and, to some extent write, like a lawyer. Although I also had strong interests in disability rights and attended Ohio State, which has one of the preeminent legal scholars in disability rights on the faculty, I only took one class specifically in disability rights. When I started practicing, what I learned in my Federal Courts class probably benefited me more than the specialized disability rights knowledge I obtained in Disability Discrimination. I would thus advise picking your law school based more on rank, quality of the faculty, and whether accommodations are likely to be a constant battle or a non-issue. I was very fortunate that I never once had to fight about accommodations while at Ohio State. Unfortunately, that is not the universal experience of blind law students, even in 2020. Having said that, I cannot emphasize strongly enough the importance of having a mentor/champion on the faculty. Given that you want to pursue disability rights work, I would seriously consider looking at law schools, e.g. Ohio State, Michigan, American, with faculty members who are passionate about disability rights. They will be able to give you guidance, connect you with disability rights practitioners, and will help you fight through the discrimination that you will inevitably face while seeking employment.Re: LSAT training, I just worked through a book with multiple practice tests. I think LSAC's accommodations process has improved, but when I dealt with them, it was a Kafkaesque nightmare. I would thus advise being as proactive as possible and not backing down, until you get the accommodations you need.