[blindLaw] Compilation of 21 interviews of legal professionals with disabilities

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 23:10:38 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone,

We have now published a book consisting of 21 interviews of legal
professionals with disabilities, in 6 countries, spanning 3
continents. It can be purchased here, to be read on the Kindle. Am
pasting below an excerpt from the book description and the link to buy
it. Please do circulate it widely in your networks.

"For many of us, what drew us to the law as our chosen career path was
its ability to remedy injustice, to help make our society more equal.
And yet, despite professing these high ideals, we must always ask:
How far does our profession in fact actually practice them?

In the pages that follow, you will read stories featuring a diverse
cast of characters, stories that will move you, that will make you
question your assumptions and hopefully transform you into allies for
the disabled people around you. You will read about the
disappointments that young Zak Yacoob faced when no one was willing to
hire him because he is blind. You will read blind American DC Circuit
judge David Tatel talk about how he feels when people at airports talk
to his wife instead of talking to him directly.

You will read blind senior advocate SK Rungta sharing the story of the
judge who would repeatedly dismiss Mr. Rungta’s cases without even so
much as giving him a chance to utter a sentence. You will read hearing
impaired Saumya Sharma talk about securing rank 9 in the UPSC civil
service exams and fighting to ensure reservation for the hearing
impaired in the Delhi judicial services.

As you applaud the courage and grit shown by these interviewees,
instead of jumping to immediate conclusions about how inspiring they
are, please pause and reflect. On what is it that made it so hard for
them to succeed in the first place. And what each of us can do to
reverse this state of affairs. To ensure that such stories become so
ubiquitous that we no longer have to celebrate them."

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08P7LWG1S?fbclid=IwAR3nl_eNctHh4nmLI704DtGh3x5zLFbqd50v0GlstBFKIN0FZypt_cTMYZk

Rahul