[blindLaw] Bar Study?

Singh, Nandini NSingh at cov.com
Wed May 6 15:26:34 UTC 2020

I used Barbri for the July 2015 administration of the NY exam and had a good experience with them. I think to start things off, I let my Barbri rep know that I wanted to speak to the accommodations team at or after 3L finals, set up a phone call, and described how I studied in order to craft the best kind of acommodations for me. Most things I could access fine. The biggest concern I initially had was getting the actual legal topic summaries and the workbooks with exercises/drills. Barbri made them all available to me either as PDF or Word documents--really cannot recall which now--and uploaded them onto Drop Box. It was no problem downloading them and using them throughout the course. The accommodations team I thought was very responsive and helpful for the couple of follow-up questions I had following our introductory phone call, e.g. an essay exercise was not accessible, but Barbri provided a Barbri tutor, who worked with me for that discrete aspect.

As for studying for the bar, treat it like a full time job. You should spend about 7-9 hours studying. In the evening, make sure you do something totally unrelated to law and preferably physical. I think I ended up watching a lot of wildlife documentaries, and often a family member took me on a moderately long drive around our suburb to relax. I scaled back studying on the weekends, maybe four hours or less. Barbri is good in giving you a schedule that will put the fear of god into you but that will actually allow you to pass. You just have to be disciplined and stick to the plan.

One other thing that I found super helpful was completing, sometimes multiple times, the online review modules for various legal topics. These were quick and had concise explanations that really cemented the major concepts--kind of like dynamic, virtual flash cards. I do not think the modules are a standard part of the curriculum, but they are worth trying out once or twice.