[blindLaw] Disclosure Blindness and Accommodations

Morgayne Mulkern morgaynemulkern at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 14:09:01 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

Happy Saturday!

This girl needs advice! I have a job interview coming up for a paralegal
position at a small corporate financial investment firm this Monday. The
position would be 2 months with the possibility of extension.

I just wanted to ask others who are blind or visually impaired whether or
not you disclose your blindness in interviews? Why or why not? How do you go
about doing so if you do choose to disclose?

Also, do you ask the company to pay for Jaws and other accommodations, or do
you ask the state agency if they can, or how do you handle this? The
Massachusetts commission for the blind has provided Jaws software at my past
jobs before, but I'm not sure if they would be willing to do so where the
position is temporary....

I have not interviewed for a job that was not in government before, so these
are some new concerns.

Thank you.

Best,

Morgayne Mulkern