[blindLaw] Civil rights complaints from non-students

Kimberly Cannon doyouknowjesus at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 5 12:16:38 UTC 2022

Hi friends, I do not hold a degree nor any legal claim to work as an
attorney, but I wanted to chime in on this conversations from the
perspective of one with experience and knowledge on this subject. Here is my
humble input:
1. You do not have to identify as a student nor staff person to file a
complaint.
2. The mere fact that you are a registered patron and in-user of the
facility gives you legal right to present your concern.
3. You reserve the right to file a complaint based on the protected class
(whatever that might be) that prevents you in ways your counter parts are
not restricted using the same or similar resources based on the nature of
their purpose. Note: The University however can claim it is a private
institution and your claim may be dismissed on permissible purpose. In other
words, the university might be able to state they allow you to use the
facility as a courtesy which implies you might have less clout since you are
not a student or staff of the institution. My adice, no matter the
opposition, pursue what you believe in as it might be the game-changer to
assist so many others in the future.