[blindLaw] Point of having Westlaw and/or LexusNexus

Michal Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Sun Jul 31 17:06:34 UTC 2022

Thomas,

Google and other popular free search engines are no match for a dedicated
legal database like Westlaw or LexisNexis, especially for case law research.
These databases are very useful - and sometimes essential - for verifying
whether a particular court decision is still good law; this obviously cannot
be done from the text of a court opinion alone. Additionally, legal
databases offer very advanced searching and results filtering and sorting
functionalities you won't find elsewhere. Furthermore, Westlaw and
LexisNexis both offer robust editorial annotations for statutes,
regulations, and other primary sources. Those are just a few tremendous
advantages of these legal databases that make the cost worthwhile for many
practitioners.

For attorneys who work on a tight budget, however, there are several cheaper
alternatives, among them Casetext, Fastcase, and Casemaker (which apparently
has recently merged with Fastcase). Most state bar associations offer
complementary access to one of these alternative databases to their members.
These cheaper alternatives do not offer all the benefits of Westlaw or
LexisNexis, but are still much more powerful than free online searches.

Hope this helps.

Michal