[blindLaw] Strategies for Trial Advocacy

Teresita Rios teresitarios22 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:31:43 UTC 2022

Juli,
I just took Trial Ad.
It is so fun. Okay What I did.
1. I met with the Teacher’s Assistant several times and made a writen description of each excivit.
I made one word doc and placed headings for each exhibit number. (You can make separate files if you want ). Just make sure you have what you need for your crosses and directs and of course closing. Make notation of page number in the case file but also what page number of the exhibit. (i.e. In the second page of the Order form. Lets look at the ninth row of the chart, where the word pizza is found. Cna you see it?
2. I used my computer and a wireless earbud. I had a list of my questions, and expected answers with citations, in one doc, I had my impeachment script in a another doc, and my evidence in a separate doc.
3. In my prepared questions I also had to to prepare for evidence. So based on the information I determined I needed from each used exhibit, I had an idea of when and what exhibit I was going to use.
4. Use your partner. I gave my partner the list of exhibits, the order I was expecting to follow, and asked her to pull them up during trial and to zoom in the key language that I was reading from.
I did not have to deal with court technology. My partner would just say, (exhibit # is up). And I then continued with my examinations.
5. I was told that even sighted people, specially partners have the same procedure  that my partner and I had and that the Courts are used to it.
For closing I personally did not used a slide show. Power point is not my foot.  But I did used many exhibits
For my partner’s closing we did use a powerpoint and kept it super  basic. Just the info we need clean and organized. So Wen I used it my partner could change the slides in the correct part.

In conclusion. Use a system that  could allow you to move  from doc to doc and that you feel comfortable navigating docs with.  Stand a bit to the side of the podium and own the place.

PS: Oh, for jury selection. I just Stated, (I am blind and when you raise your hand to answer my questions please say your name and speak.)
As long as you are organized and appear to know what you are doing pre conceived notions of ability will dissipate and we will be changing the world.
I did not make a chart but a doc with headings for each potential juror. I like jumping from heading to heading.  An aded notes underneath each when appropriate.

I hope this was helpful.

Warmly,
Teresita Rios