[blindLaw] Wondering

Julie A. Orozco kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 03:11:18 UTC 2023

As you can see, there are a variety of preferences on this topic. I'll
share mine in case it helps.

I read my books on the computer in the PDF files my school sends me. I
won and got my school to break them up for me because my computer has
a hard time with thousand-page files, but I could never get my PDFs
converted into Word for me. Sometimes I do it myself if I can get
Adobe to cooperate. I haven't had a Victor Stream in years, but if
you're used to reading books on there, it's not a bad choice,
especially if you can easily listen to books and take notes at the
same time. I take notes in a Word file on my computer, but I recognize
it would be more efficient to listen to something and take notes at
the same time as much as possible.

In class I use my Braille Note. This is because I have a hard time
listening to Jaws in one ear and my professors and classmates in the
other. It's just too much audio input for me, so I use Braille
whenever I can in class. Using Braille also allows me to read straight
from my notes when I get called on. I brief all my cases in my notes
and then can just refer easily to them when I have to tell the class
about it. If you are a confident Braille reader, this will a good
strategy for you.

I hope this helps.

Julie

--
Julie A. Orozco
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of