[Blindmath] Press Release: MathType 6.5 for Windows is available

Neil Soiffer Neils at dessci.com
Thu Dec 4 06:02:37 UTC 2008

MathType doesn't work with JAWS and Windows-Eyes because:

1.  We haven't done the work to make it accessible
2.  Even if we did, we haven't gotten an sense of interest from them about
doing the work needed to call the interfaces to get speech out.

MathPlayer does work to a limited extent with those and other screen
readers.  But we have the ability to generate braille and the ability to
product higher quality speech, and they won't do the work needed to make use
of those facilities because "none of our customers have said they will buy
an upgrade if we improve our math handling abilities."

We have gotten some interest from smaller vendors. If you use JAWS or
Window-Eyes and ever want to get braille on your braille display or get
better speech, you need to tell them that math support is important. I've
said "YOU need to send them email" many times, but I've only heard from two
people that they have done so. Better math support in your screen reader
simply isn't going to happen if people don't take two minutes to write email
to your vendor. This applies to people who use open source software also.

    Neil