[Blindmath] Translating LaTeX Files into Braille

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Sat Nov 15 07:46:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I'm trying to translate LaTeX files into Braille and I'm having trouble.
Here's what I've been doing.
1. Open .tex file in Scientific Notebook 5.0.
2. Resave it as another .tex file. I've heard this makes it possible for
Duxbury to interpret all the commands in the file.
3. Open the new file in the Duxbury Braille Translator 10.4 as a print
document in "teX or LaTeX format".
At this point, despite the fact there was text in the scientific notebook
file, the newly-saved one comes up blank in Duxbury. I can't translate it
into Braille because there is nothing to translate. I tried copying and
pasting text directly from scientific notebook into Duxbury and Brailling it
that way, but then the Braille contains all the LaTeX commands and no math
symbols.
Any suggestions as to what I can do?
Thank you,
Sarah Jevnikar