[Blindmath] producing Nemeth math as a blind person

Neal K neal at duxsys.com
Tue Nov 18 20:03:57 UTC 2008

Please excuse me if this has already been covered.
6 Key entry refers to the six keys on the Perkins Brailler
 See
http://support.perkins.org/site/PageServer?pagename=store_perkinsbrailler_hi
story&JServSessionIdr001=252bskuan3.app43a

DBT Win, a braille translation software, and PerkyDuck, a free six key
computer program, both support six-key input.

This uses regular keyboards that have "full key rollover."  Or in plain
English when you press up to six keys at the same time the keyboard sends
the signal for all of those six keys.  Normally the home row keys on a
QWERTY key board represent the six keys.  So F would be dot 1, D would be
dot 2, S would be dot 3, J would be dot 4, K would be dot 5, and L would be
dot 6.  An easy test is just to press all six keys in a word processor such
as MS WORD, if all six letters show up you are fine.

There are also several very nice simple USB six-key keyboards which were
designed for direct braille input.

The two most popular I am aware of are:
The Galatee http://www.techno-vision.co.uk/galatee.htm
and the Power Chord Braille Keyboard  http://www.exceptionalteaching.com/