[Blindmath] Can PDF math texts be accessed via screen reader?

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Thu Apr 9 02:07:32 UTC 2009

Hello Richard.  The Infty Reader can do OCR of PDF and is surprisingly good
at getting both the math and text right.  It's not cheap at $900, but it is
the only game in town.

See
http://www.inftyproject.org/
Their ChattyInfty accessible math editor has a bit of a learning curve, but
works well also.  Both these products are made by a university research team
and do not have easy user-friendly interfaces.  But they do work.

By the way, it is absolutely not true that you cannot access the graphs and
diagrams.  Look at the ViewPlus IVEO Creator Pro package.  You'll need a
ViewPlus embosser to make the tactile copy, but it also works well.  Lots of
money for software and hardware, but at least today you have really full
access to math and science.  Wasn't tru a couple of years ago.
http://www.viewplus.com