[Blindmath] Can PDF math texts be accessed via screen reader?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Apr 9 09:20:42 UTC 2009

Hello,
John is correct about the current status of PDF, infty reader is about
the only way you will get access to equations. However if you can
contact the author of the document you may wish to explain your
situation and ask whether they have a LaTeX source version of it you
could have (quite a number of mathematical PDFs are produced from LaTeX
but not all are, and also some authors are reluctant to give out the
source, its always worth asking though). You may wish to find web
resources in mathml or those websites which use images in html for
equations but set the alt tag of the equation image to the LaTeX source
(eg. wikipedia seems to do that).

Also John mentions the IVEO for graphs and diagrams, and I have to say
although I don't have one when I saw one being demonstrated to me I was
surprised how well it works (it managed a diagram which I provided
(demonstrator had no prior knowledge what this diagram was going to be)
and it was just a matter of scanning the document in and then producing
a tactile image with the tiger printer and getting the IVEO to process
the image file (it does OCR to find the labels) and then putting the
tactile diagram on the touch pad and then exploring the diagram). What I
saw of it with the diagram I tried probably wasn't as good as it can do
(due to performing OCR as it was from a paper source) and also no extra
information had been added to parts of the diagram. I believe if you are
starting from a computer file then alot more can be done (chunks of text
explaining the diagram can be associated with particular parts of the
diagram, if labels are in the file as text then OCR and its inaccuracies
are not introduced as the actual text can be used, etc).

I will just state here I have no association with viewplus, I am talking
as an individual who has seen some of their products.

Unfortunately all of this does come at a cost and if budgets are limited
you have to just try and work out what will be the most useful. EG.
might it be more cost effective to just have someone explain diagrams to
you and use something like swell paper to produce the diagrams?

Michael Whapples