[Blindmath] How many children in America are not taught to read?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Aug 7 01:07:10 UTC 2009

> A braille display will give you instant access to a world of
> information through your computer. You don't need to wait for anyone
> to transcribe the text for you, it's there for the taking. I can't
> think of a bigger incentive to get a child to learn braille!

I agree. If I had to name the single greatest braille-related invention of the
last 50 years, it would have to be the refreshable braille display. I know
high-speed braille embossers are also important and valuable, but I think
refreshable braille is the technology that really stretches the bounds of what
is possible.

The Perkins brailler and similar devices are of course fundamental, dating
from earlier in the twentieth century.

There is a real need for further advances in the design of braille display
hardware, leading, ideally, to devices that are not only more affordable, but
capable of presenting a full page of text and graphics. This would make many
mathematics applications much easier.
> I should point out that some people have an irrational fear of
> braille based on the notion that it makes them look more blind in
> the eyes of the public. So money isn't the only factor.

What makes this worse (and I'll take your word for it - I've never met any
such person) is that it involves internalizing negative stereotypes about
blindness. this list isn't the place to discuss those issues, however.