[Blindmath] How many children in America are not taught to read?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Aug 7 10:29:30 UTC 2009

I have to say that a Braille display is far superior to speech access to
a computer for me. Now may be some of my experience with a Braille
display being better is to do with the software I use (particularly
first example I will give). So on to the examples of when a Braille
display is useful.

A Braille display is really good for viewing tables and being able to
extract information easily. Now this can depend on the software being
used, for me on linux using brltty in a text terminal I get all the
proper layout and with the Braille display navigation keys I can move
about the display easily and read down columns or across rows without
any issue (eg. when I am looking for train times in the UK, I use the
national rail enquiries website in the links browsers and brltty). Now
compare this with many of the windows screen readers which do their own
reformatting of the page and so break this nice table layout in Braille.
Also on this topic of layout, a Braille display is so handy for when I
am doing computer programming, partly as speech doesn't read the line
exactly well (due to the need for punctuation, and variable names not
being single words all the time) and also for tracking the code
indentation level.

Now to another example of where a Braille display and possibly Braille
more generally is useful, mathematics (I knew I could bring this thread
round to being on topic some how). While software like mathplayer is
good in what it does, I just feel trying to do maths by speech output is
very hard, mainly due to the lack of direct access to what ever part of
the equation I want to check. Now the Braille display allows me to get a
mathematical document and then use some software to translate it to
Braille and I have instant access (eg. I get a mathml document and so
use liblouisxml to translate it and then I can read it on a Braille
display). In this case it is better to have the Braille display as it
reduces on the bulk of physical Braille documents, no chance of running
out of Braille paper, etc. How ever I do feel sometimes having the full
page in front of me is better than just having a single line on a
Braille display, but I suppose they have different uses.

Are Braille displays perfect, no, it would be nice to have features such
as full page displays, tactile graphic displays, etc and obviously a
lower price tag would be very nice.

Michael Whapples