[Blindmath] How many children in America are not taught to read?

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 03:59:18 UTC 2009

I have found a Braille display to be a great time-saver. I will often use it
in combination with speech. If I hear an error in something, I can often
find it and route the cursor to it with the Braille display faster than I
can with screen-reader keyboard commands. For me, it's much faster to find
the incorrect letter on a display than it is to hit the "next word" command
five or six times and then find the incorrect letter.

I have been reading Braille since I was four, but I'm not sure that's
relevant to this particular aspect of using a Braille display.

I also found mathematics (see, I can segue seminaturally back to being
on-topic) to be much easier with braille. This might be partly due to the
fact that I started learning Nemeth Braille when I was four as well.

Angie