[Blindmath] Questions about tools for Math and Science Students

Jose Tamayo jtblas at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 7 14:28:53 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I hope I am not out of line with this subject matter.  It has to do with
Math and Blind students.  By way of introducing myself, I will tell you I
lost my sight about six years ago.  I have Retinitis Pigmentosa.  I have
decided to complete a traditional Computer Science degree which will require
quite a bit of Math.  Now, for the good  on topic subject.

I don’t have a good grasp of Nemeth code.  I have a good grasp of Literary
Braille.  My research has led me to the following solutions but I want to
learn as much as I can about the tools that I am researching.

1.        The Nemeth Code tutorial from Gaylen Kapperman (HumanWare.com)

I have been working on learning the Nemeth code using this tutorial from Dr.
Kapperman.  The tutorial is very good, although I think I would arrange the
layout a bit differently.

2.        Math Made Simple from ViewPlus Technologies

This package is very expensive but it has the tools that I think a blind
mathematician or scientist would required.  The vendor claims that the
Embosser will print Nemeth Code along side with the formulas.  There are
questions, of course but I am simply looking for opinions or comments on
this product.  They don’t perform backtranslation of Nemeth Braille but they
claim that they can print nemeth Braille and equivalent formulas on the same
page.  Has anyone had experience with this product or heard of someone who
does?  The components of the package are as follows.

-          Emprint Braille Embosser

-          Accessible Braille and Math  software  (MathType equation
editor, Audio Graphing calculator,

-          Tiger software Suite  (TSS) Braille Translation software

3.        Logisoft  Solutions Transbraille
(http://www.logicalsoft.net/TransBraille.html)

According to the vendor, this tool will back translate from embossed
Braille, including Nemeth code, into a PDF file that a sighted person can
read.   Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4.       Nemetext – Nemeth Backtranslator – accessisoft (www.)
http://www.accessisoft.com/nemetex.htm)

I quote directly  from their web site:  “The Nemetex Nemeth Back-Translatorä
uses a unique process to examine the Computer Braille, identify the content
as either Nemeth Braille Math or normal text, and convert it into LaTeX
<http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/LaTeX:About>  so it can
be read by any standard LaTeX-based editing program, such as TeXnicCenter
<http://www.texniccenter.org/> .  The resulting file could, depending on the
LaTeX program in use, then be hard-copy printed in normal printed math or
saved to a Portable Document Format (PDF) file for electronic transfer via
e-mail or posting/sharing.”

If anyone has any thoughts, I would welcome them.  I am obviously not
preparedfor any of the solutions above but in time I will be.  My goal is to
have a set of tools that I can learn and utilize in order to complete my
coursework.  I I have a BrailleNote MPower BT32.

Regards,

Jose Tamayo