[Blindmath] Summer University workshop in Vienna

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 13:36:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

As Michael has already explained, the plotting utilities use command line arguments to build figures.
The PSTricks package is for drawing and inserting PostScript images within LaTeX.
Ideally any figure can be drawn using PSTricks commands combined with a number of extensions. I personally know only about drawing basic figures like lines, triangles, and such.
There is also another package for LaTeX called TikZ.
The idea behind using LaTeX packages is that a student can produce assignments with both Mathematical and graphical output.

Knowing PSTricks code also helps the student understand images if she is given the LaTeX source that also includes the underlying image code.
I had a subject called Game Theory where I understood the game trees and decision trees because of the PSTricks code available with the text.

Your SVG viewer picks up this same underlying code to provide information to the user.

Another tutorial could perhaps be on obtaining accessible Mathematical material. This could include freely available books and research articles on the web as well as contacting the permissions department of different publishers.

Finally, I would repeat my point on inviting someone on explaining speech recognition tools. Typing TeX commands becomes tedious. Besides, many blind students may have additional disability that may prevent them from typing.

Regards

"Hard work will get you a professorship or a BMW. You need both work and luck for a Booker, a Nobel or a private jet."
~ Nassim Nicholas Taleb