[Blindmath] using infty reader and scanning

John Miller j8miller at soe.ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 16 20:28:11 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have been working with the Xerox copier at my work to do the scanning
for my math textbook.

Interestingly enough, I come to learn that scans are not working well
when I do 2-sided mode.

In this situation, fo the odd pages there is a dark region past the
right margin from the scan.  This dark region shows up on the left
(because of mirror image)

For the even pages.

The dark region results in some even pages scanning only half way down
the page.  Scanning in single-sided mode makes the whole problem go
away.

I continue to be drawn to scanning with the expensive office scanners
because their speed of scanning is so very high.

But Infty Reader does not have the nice feature of open-book for
re-pagenating single-sided scans. That is, it does not interleave odd
and even pages.

So if I use the document feeder and a group of pages, I have an odd page
scan and an even page scan.  Both convert into latex files.

Luckily, now, infty reader is marking the beginning of each page of scan
with a latex escape sequence so that the reader knows when new pages
begin.

Unless someone offers a pre-existing solution, I think I will be
authoring a tool to parse the latex and comine odd and even page files
into a single file.

Any ideas?

Very best,

John