[Blindmath] Maple and Mathematica

Theodor Loots theo.loots at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 08:28:51 UTC 2009

Hi!

Our university has licences for Maple 12 and Mathematica 7 and so I have
access to both, however neither of them is really accessible with JAWS (v9).

Mathematica 7 has a whole lot of new features that involve text to speech
and sound stuff, that could have promising possibilities.  I recall that
some time ago mension was made on this list of projects that will focus on
the accessibility of Mathematica.  The web also mension a cupple of cases
where blind scientists make use of Mathematica, so I assume it can be done.

This, I believe, is even truer for Maple.  There is even a support site that
mensions how to configure the JAVA access-bridge to allow JAWS access to
Maple 9, however, I did everything that site suggested without luck.  I
guess the way to go is to use the Classic Worksheet mode, but haven't had
any luck with that either.

Are there anyone on this list that make use of either one of these products
or that could perhaps point me in the right direction?  Or alternatively
suggest another package that can handle symbolic math, and also being
accessible.

Kind regards,