[Blindmath] Optacon info

Nelson Blachman nelson.blachman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:27:51 UTC 2009

Hi Lori,

  About ten years ago I bought an Optacon, hoping to become able to use it
to read, though I hadn't yet learned to read Braille.  Within the next few
years I learned Braille, and I'm able to read it at about a dozen words per
minute, but I find the Optacon useful only for discovering which sides of
sheets of paper I need to scan and which are blank, sometimes even being
able to determine which way is up so that I can start scanning a pamphhlet
at its beginning rather than at its end.

  I printed out alphabets in fonts of various sizes, and I printed little
test sentences like "The cat sat on the mat," hoping I might become able to
learn how to recognize all 26 letters and ten digits as well as short common
words, but I never got far with that project.  Nonetheless, I do find my
Optacon useful for the foregoing purposes as well as for finding out if my
printer's working properly.

  --Nelson, retired physicist, Oakland, California