[Blindmath] college and math

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 16 20:59:11 UTC 2009

>It wouldn't surprise me if there are people who can listen to a reading of
>complex mathematical text and understand it from the recording, but I
>strongly
>suspect that those people are in a minority.

Ya, those are the same people who can play a game of chess without reference
to a board! <smile>

In all seriousness, I think its more than the braille that's important.
Mathematics is as much about numbers as it is about relationships among
objects. Especially when learning, it is often advantageous to draw
pictorial descriptions of the objects and relationships among them.  A
picture is worth a thousand words, and this is true whether your blind or
sighted.  Geometry is perhaps the most obvious example here. However,
applied math / physics would also be very difficult to learn without some
sort of tactile illustrations / diagrams.

Just my two cents...
-- Rich