[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Neil Soiffer Neils at dessci.com
Fri Mar 13 05:45:59 UTC 2009

I'm not aware of Java-based MathML-to-Braille translators, but there is
liblious (C++, http://code.google.com/p/liblouis/) and UMCL (XSLT).  Both
have COM bindings that allow you to call them from other languages.
Essentially, that means you just need to give them the MathML and they give
you back a Braille translation.  I think that the COM part has only been
compiled for Windows, but COM is supported on the Mac and probably linux and
they probably would work there also:
http://unix.ittoolbox.com/documents/component-object-model-com-development-on-mac-os-x-16688

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, WebEQ, Equation
Editor ~