[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Mar 13 22:51:08 UTC 2009

I think the variation in useage of LaTeX depends on level, I feel for
someone at university doing maths or something needing a reasonable
amount of maths then LaTeX is well worth the while. For those at an
earlier stage in maths teachers become less knowledgeable on LaTeX, and
possibly rightly as LaTeX may be more than really is needed at such a
level, particularly for the student to learn if they may not go on to do
maths. This is why I ask whether a simpler system for writing is needed
(eg. RST from the docutils package is a nice wysiwyg style markup
language (I think that is a fair description) which is reasonably easy
to learn the basic document formatting, and if it could be extended to
math then it might be a good system for people at an earlier stage. The
problem is that it doesn't have a math notation system, but may be we
need to look at this and try and encourage any development to be an
accessible one IE. one which can be compiled to mathml as one of the
current systems suggested for math in RST produces images). LaTeX would
still be a better option for those serious about maths as LaTeX is so
commonly used at university level.

Michael Whapples