[Blindmath] Sighted reading of Nemeth math

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 13 23:04:33 UTC 2009

I disagree with the claim about Nemeth math printed out from a BrailleNote
making "no sense to the naked
eye."

If you print out Nemeth math from a BrailleNote in the original computer
braille (not backtranslated) it will show up as ASCII characters.  It
shouldn't take a math-knowledgeable sighted person more than a few minutes
to learn to read it.  (The reason is much of computer braille was based on
Nemeth math. For example, the digits and common symbols such as the plus
sign are identical.) Here's an article I wrote several years ago on this
topic that you might want to pass along to your teachers.
http://www.dotlessbraille.org/readnem.htm

I'm glad to correspond with any sighted persons who need more help than is
in my article.

Sincerely,
SusanJ