[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Mar 13 23:29:43 UTC 2009

My reasoning is:
* At school I was taught BAUK maths
* When I moved on from school to university I did not realise BAUK maths
would be so hard to get from software translators
* When I started at university I didn't want the extra load of learning
a new Braille system, I really wanted to get on and learn the physics
like everyone else
* I didn't feel the Braille code I was using was the problem, I feel its
more the availability of materials in the Braille code which is the problem
* No obvious advantage has ever got my attention of making a switch to
Nemeth
* Some of the problems I encountered with the university's Braille
transcription service made me feel that asking them for something
"non-standard for the country" would make matters worse (problems ranged
from a regular delay, at times the delay got absolutely unacceptable,
sometimes they failed to use the right code anyway, pages might be
missing (particularly at those times where duxbury would stop
translating due to certain LaTeX content), etc (no proof reading was
ever done, not even on a sample of output) and then consider that there
was another Braille user (BAUK) in some of my modules, I can just
imagine Nemeth notes going to the wrong student, sometimes Nemeth not
being used because the special request doesn't make it through, because
Nemeth would be a different code to the other Braille it would be done
separate (probably later), etc)

So my feeling is (this not being a suggestion for Nemeth) until Nemeth
is taken up as the official code in a country then these other codes
will still be taught and while people are being taught these codes then
people will decide to continue with them unless they have a compelling
reason to want to learn another code.

On the topic of learning another code, the one which has had my
atttention and nearly was the way I went is the dots plus system. John
if you want my reasons for not taking up dots plus, one big reason is
the lack of any way to work with it on a refreshable tactile computer
display system (it always requires producing a paper copy). With Braille
(eg. BAUK maths) I was able to read my notes electronically in the form
I like on my Braille display. Another reason is also that I believe dots
plus is tied to word (equation editor) and is equation editor
accessible? IE. would I be able to produce notes for myself which I
could then output to dots plus for later reading?

Michael Whapples