[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 16 03:26:04 UTC 2009

You can always run a LaTeX to mathml translator on a LaTeX file for
reading (eg. use tex4ht, ttm, etc). You may find some of these better
than others for creating accessible mathml.

Once you have learnt LaTeX and got a good text editor like emacs then it
can be easier to use than wysiwyg word processors. However the initial
time learning LaTeX (particularly when you plan to write documents in it
rather than just reading documents) can be longer than that for a
wysiwyg editor (wysiwyg editors don't really need learning to use as you
can always find the option from a menu or somewhere, but looking for
options will take time). I suppose what I am saying is that for writing
you need to use a system, may that system be word and equation editor,
openoffice, chattyinfty, wintriangle or LaTeX, and should you choose to
change between any of them you will still need to "learn another system"
however small or large the differences are (eg. wintriangle and
chattyinfty may have similarities but they still differ, the differences
are just greater between any of the wysiwyg editors and LaTeX).

Michael Whapples