[Blindmath] poorly prepared tactile graphics

Jared Wright wright.jaredm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 00:40:01 UTC 2009

All this is well and good, but for a single student, especially at a
smaller university, getting a Braille embosser is the big hurdle. I
tried telling my people at the start of school that they'd spend less
money then on an embosser and the relevant software than they would for
transcribing books through my whole schooling, and they didn't listen.
And are paying for it now, as I refused to accept math or technical
books that did not meet a certain level of accuracy and probably cost
them quite a bit of money in the process. But, yes, it's that big, ugly
pricetag on the embossers that is stopping this solution from being
viable at a lot of U.S. institutions, at least. Outside of that
spectrum, I cannot say. It sounds like the situation is not so touch and
go other places.

Jared