[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Mar 15 08:56:13 UTC 2009

Hello,
Some of the problems for use of mathml are:

* MathML is very verbose, you would never want to work with the actual
code itself when creating or reading a document. LaTeX is much better in
that respect.
* If an individual is authoring in LaTeX, then translating from LaTeX to
MathML is not always reliable, particularly for accessibility as
understanding the meaning of LaTeX requires intelligence/knowledge of
the subject.
* Reading MathML in a browser is not wonderflly supported. As far as I
know MathPlayer offers the only accessible solution (the firevox plugin
for firefox has MathML support although I found that lacked some
symbols, etc). This means those of us who use other operating systems
such as Linux have no web browser accessibility for MathML. Also while I
must say the work done on accessibility in MathPlayer is a step forward
I feel much better is possible but it requires work from the screen
reader manufacturers for it to happen.

Those are the main ones to me, there probably are others. Something else
I will say about MathML is the amount it is used, for one reason or
another it doesn't seem to have taken off as the format for the web,
plenty of places still seem to be using images on web pages for
equations (the better ones having LaTeX source in the alt tag).

I hope that answers your question, I just wasn't quite sure what part of
the thread you were referring to when asking that as the original
message wasn't included.

Michael Whapples