[Blindmath] accessible math websites

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 16 22:30:32 UTC 2009

Where did I blame the tool (LaTeX)? The problem lay in the output
formats (as I said originally). No matter what output format, PDF, DVI,
PS, HTML/mathml the accessibility tools just couldn't give enough
information for me to be certain I had the actual formatting. Also I
should really be checking the particular output I will be submitting,
the HTML/MathML is most likely to differ in its physical layout to the
PDF as HTML may be displayed differently in different browsers. This
impacts back to the LaTeX as that is how I authored the document.
Whether any other tool out there (eg. wysiwyg editor) could give that in
an accessible form is another matter (they probably cannot) but what a
wysiwyg editor can or cannot do doesn't impact on the accessibility of
LaTeX.

Whether knowing the LaTeX was the problem, I doubt it, even my tutor who
I would say is very proficient in LaTeX didn't know the actual answer.
It took a bit of hunting around on the internet for me to find a
solution which did exactly what I needed.

While LaTeX was able to do this formatting/layout I needed, it is the
one thig LaTeX can be awkward about due to its design. LaTeX is designed
to remove the need for the author to be concerned with the physical
layout of the document, leaving them to focus on the content. When
trying to override what LaTeX wants to do automatically can lead to the
document being more complicated than ideally it could be.

LaTeX is so huge in what it can do it is difficult (may be even
impossible) to know the whole of LaTeX, and when we need to do something
new we may need to use parts of LaTeX new to us. These newly learnt
parts of LaTeX may be described to us, but if not described in the
entirity (how it will work with other parts of LaTeX, all the options we
can give it, etc) we can only have a very good guess what the output
will be. Sometimes (depending on the person sometimes may only be a few
times for others it may be most of the time) we can guess correctly, but
there will be times when we guess wrong.

For documents where we are concerned about the result due to the
importance of the document to us, we naturally want to check what is
being submitted. For the above reasons, I hope I stated it at a level
understandable by you, there have been specific circumstances where
LaTeX and associated tools aren't enough on there own for me to be
certain I am submitting what I want to submit.

May be some of the above doesn't apply to you, may be you have learnt
the full LaTeX language to the point where there are no possible
questions remaining, may be you never have documents which matter enough
to need checking before submitting, may be you have something you are
keeping secret which helps in the checking stage, etc. If this is the
case then share this with us, how did you learn the whole LaTeX language
(I do mean the whole thing not just a subset), what are you using to
check output files, etc? Let me know then I can be quiet as I will be
happy that the use of LaTeX for producing documents is 100% accessible
as I won't have any cases to prove otherwise.

Michael Whapples