[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Neil Soiffer Neils at dessci.com
Mon Mar 16 23:53:23 UTC 2009

MathPlayer is a work in progress.  I have a grant application pending that
includes work to get navigation into MathPlayer (among many other things).
I hope it is funded... Navigation is the big unfinished feature.  I think
Braille support is at least as important, and that is done in the
development version... except the screen reader vendors haven't made it a
priority to support that.

I've said it before... developers/vendors (and that includes free software
such as NVDA) won't make it a priority unless their users tell them it needs
to be one.  If you want to see good math support in your AT software, if is
up to YOU to tell the vendors it is important.  I'll be at CSUN in a few
days pushing them to do better support, but I'm not a paying customer and I
have an obvious vested interest, so I'm not going to change their
priorities.

If you have not done so, contact your AT software supplier and tell them
you'd buy an upgrade if they enhanced their math support.  Even if you have
done, it wouldn't hurt to remind them.

    Neil