[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 16 20:34:33 UTC 2009

I think you have hit a very good point, the difference between reading
the source of a document and using viewer software. A well designed
viewer should be better than viewing/reading the source for any format,
however for LaTeX there is no really good accessible viewer (may be
emacspeak helps, I haven't tried it for LaTeX). For mathml you have an
accessible viewer in the form of mathplayer (I believe the accessibility
of that could be improved, I will discuss this point later). If for both
you had to read the source then LaTeX would certainly be preferable.

My problems with mathplayer (these can be applied more generally to what
I feel a good accessible viewer should provide) are to do with the
amount of navigation users have of the equation. Having everything spelt
out and just revealed as one long string makes it hard to work with.
What happens if I have a long equation and want to jump to say the
denominator of a fraction (as that might be the important part for the
working at that time) currently I have to scroll through loads of text,
ideally I could do with a hotkey to jump to particular elements of an
equation (like most screen readers do for things like headings, tables,
etc in web pages). In saying this I don't mean to do down the work done
on mathplayer, I know that to enable all I would like to see requires
work from the screen reader manufacturers, and this is why we should
remind the developers of our favourite screen reader that math support
is important to us.

I know Neil has mentioned that PDF could support tagging of maths and
when this is properly supported then may be you will be as happy reading
output from LaTeX as you are when viewing mathml with mathplayer. BTW:
you can always convert LaTeX to mathml then view that with mathplayer,
this is where a good editor comes in, you can configure more advanced
ones to launch scripts/tools on the press of a key so you could get the
LaTeX translated to mathml and then shown in internet explorer all
automatically at the press of a key. As I remember for windows users
edsharp supports LaTeX editing and probably fits the requirements of a
good editor for LaTeX.

Michael Whapples