[Blindmath] Algebraic Long Division

Nimer nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 04:03:52 UTC 2009

Yes, I also use a spreadsheet, and find itto be helpful. Here are some
instructions.

Synthetic Division using EXCEL

Take divisor set it equal to zero and solve
A1 put the zero from the divisor
B1 through as long as you need put coefficients of the dividend
Take value from B1 and drop it down to B3
Take A1 multiply it to B3 and put in C2
Add C1 and C2 and write answer in C3
Take A1 multiply to C3 and write in D2
Ass D1 and D2 and write answer in D3
Repeat steps as needed
When nothing else is in row 1 you are done
The last number in row 3 is the remainder
Write answer as a polynomial
Example 1
Problem done on sheet 1 x^2+6x+5 divided by x+1
Answer x+5
Example 2
Problem done on sheet 2 2x^3+3x-5 divided by x+2 (I don’t know how this
one will work but thought I would give you one that needed place holders)
Answer 2x^2-1x+2 +-9/(x+2)

Hope this helps, questions let me know.

Nimer J

"every time I say something they find hard to hear
they chalk it up to my anger
and never to their own fear"
Ani Difranco: I'm Not A Pretty Girl 1995

Nimer M. Jaber

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender via reply e-mail, and delete the
material from any computer.

Website:
http://www.empowertheblind.org
Phone: