[Blindmath] Introduction

P. R. Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 6 11:22:49 UTC 2009

The problem is with both the syntax and tools for producing
mathML.  MathML makes a mockery of one of the fundamental principles
of XML, that is, the separation of content semantics an the visual
presentation.  We could start a long and arduous debate over that ,
however, I should think that the lack of accessible and usable
software tools for mathML is a more pressing issue. It is indeed true
that very few people nowadays bother to hack html or xhtml manually.
Instead they use one of the hundreds of WYSEEWYG tools for the task.
That, as I see it, takes the argument back to our original problem,
i.e. finding accessible tools: how many of those web authoring tools
are screen reader friendly? And even if they were accessible, how
many of them map user input to valid strict or transitional
xhtml?  Very few and the reason for that is because web content at
present is more about the visual presentation and not structure
semantics, the constant abuse of the table element being a case in
point. Incidentally, folks, that problem has been partially addressed by CSS.
With mathML, as far as I understand it, you can't afford to take such
a cavalier approach while maintaining the integrity of your code.
Granted, there are tools for creating valid mathML documents, but are
they accessible?
As for the online wiki thingummy, while it offers a solution to the
immediate problem, would it not be more productive, in the long term,
to learn using a system that is universally recognised and
extensively used by academics and publishers alike?
Perhaps on a superficial level, do you not think there's some thrill
in creating documents that look no less presentable than what one
would see in a published book or journal?
LaTeX offers both 100 percent accessibility and high quality output
standards. This is about the present and the future. LaTeX offers a
solution which is inclusive and convenient especially in higher
education. At Uni My tutors all typset their module handouts in LaTeX
which meant that we did not need to go through the usual headache of
the transcription process, not to mention the high costs involved.
I don't see academic institutions rushing to embrace a new system
when the current one works just fine. Why fix it when it 'aint ...

MathML seems to be a nice idea, just like the electric car, that
showcases progress though right this minute it fails to offer a
viable alternative. Whether it will be adopted by mainstream
institutions some time in the future isn't the concern of most people
who come to this list for help. What's more, it is our moral duty as
blind people to transcend personal commercial interests when giving
them advice.
Paul