[Blindmath] LaTeX editor

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Nov 9 23:16:27 UTC 2009

Helen Popper <helen.popper at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would you recommend for a blind-friendly LaTeX editor?

Emacs with the Auctex package installed, preferably running under Linux with
Emacspeak providing speech output, or your favourite braille display.

Alternatively, Vim with vim-latexsuite installed if you prefer the Vi editor.

I personally like Emacs, but on the other hand I am also drawn to the way in
which Vim uses the keyboard, so I tend to straddle the Vi/Emacs divide
somewhat.

My first experience with Vi wasn't positive: no documentation and no one to
help. Unlike Vim, the original Vi editor had no online manual or tutorial.
Emacs, on the other hand, had both a tutorial and a manual and it helpfully
told you how to read those when it started up - so not surprisingly the path
into Emacs was relatively easy.

Later on, I learned Vim to find out what those enthusiastic Vi supporters were
so passionate about, and grew to appreciate its features and especially the
layout of commands on the keyboard, which makes editing really easy and
efficient.