[Blindmath] intro

Susan Mooney slemooney at msn.com
Sat Nov 21 00:48:47 UTC 2009

This is what makes me so sad and also angry.  A sighted student w/o a textbook in a public school is not a scenario that is a common occurrence and if it were, parents and teachers and administrators would be enraged. VI teachers pass it off as the way it is.

Good teachers should have seen that number reversal was a sign that you had a glitch in your learning but that you were bright and eager to learn.  Instead, they squashed that innate curiosity by being impatient.  There are ways and tricks to overcome those glitches so that they don't lead to anxiety and fear.  How wonderful, however, that you are reaching out now, Jamie, to improve your skills and overcome your anxiety.  You have a good brain and are capable.  You can do this.  As a former VI teacher, I loved having kids like you as my students.  Just being able to prove others wrong was so rewarding.

Susan M.