[Blindmath] Questions about complex formulas, tagging PDFs, and users' expectations

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Fri Oct 30 01:13:16 UTC 2009

Hi.  First of all, thanks for asking!  Fortunately there is a right
answer to your question, and it is about as easy as one could imagine.
Just put up your pages in HTML with math expressed in MathML.  The
difficulty is that you must require Internet Explorer users to install
the (free) MathPlayer plug-in from Design Science to display that
MathML.  MathML displays natively in Firefox and several minor web
browsers.  Most scientists, both sighted and blind, strongly encourage
academic institutions and government agencies to use MathML and bring
increasing pressure on Microsoft to display MathML natively, as they
should.  I am obviously one of that group.

In whatever case, MathML is accessible.  I can use Internet Explorer
with that MathPlayer plug-in and read math with my screen reader just
like anything else. With some minor improvements in screen readers,
MathPlayer will also display math in official math codes on a braille
display.

The other common solution to math access is what Wikipedia does.  Their
math is put up as images with Alt tags having the LaTex equivalent.
This is accessible to people who know Latex, but MathML provides better
access and is the way of the future.  Please do it that way!

You are right to discontinue using PDF.  It is not even very accessible
for text and certainly not for math.

John Gardner
Professor Emeritus of Physics, Oregon State University and
President, ViewPlus Technologies, Inc.