[Blindmath] Reading in Winedt

Alastair Irving alastair.irving at sjc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 7 15:30:37 UTC 2009

Michael Whapples wrote:
> On this topic, I never really liked vim, probably a personal choice,
> many seem to like it. When I have looked at emacs I quite liked it. What
> I want to ask is whether people feel using emacspeak is really any
> advantage to using emacs with speakup?

Emacs is definitely usable with speakup, but I much prefer emacspeak.
In my opinion emacspeak provides a much more productive method of
working, especially when programming, etc.  Since emacspeak is
programmed using emacs lisp it has direct access to any information it
needs from emacs so it can do much more than just reading text from the
screen.  For example, you can have the speech output configured very
differently when editing different types of file.  Emacspeak also has
keybindings for reading useful pieces of information such as the
filename, line number, etc.  These could all be read with speakup, (as
they're displayed on the screen), but it would require navigating to the
rellevent place, etc, rather than a single key.

Another alternative for use with Emacs is Speechd-el.  I've never used
it at all so cannot comment on it, but thought I ought to mention its
existance.  I believe it supports braille directly, which could be
interesting, although  I've never had any problem with brltty

HTH

Alastair