[Blindmath] Mathematica

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Fri Sep 25 15:21:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

At the Wolfram Research Web Site (Just a few blocks away from my office...)
http://search.wolfram.com/?query=Braille&x=0&y=0
I find:
http://www.wolfram.com/news/strickland.html
Blind Optical Physicist Pursues Technical Career with the Aid of Mathematica
> One of these devices is an electronic notepad and display device that
> enables him to write and review "refreshable Braille." Another is a
> small camera connected to a tactile display made of vibrating pins
> that essentially allow him to feel pictures.
> To aid his technical writing, Strickland developed a Mathematica
> program that converts Braille into rich text. He inputs Braille into
> his computer with an electronic notepad that stores the Braille in its
> internal memory. The notepad's electronic display allows Strickland to
> edit and review the Braille. When he is satisfied with his work,
> Strickland transfers the electronic Braille to his PC where the
> Mathematica program converts it to rich text. The rich text can then
> be manipulated with a word processor. Strickland has also written
> Mathematica procedures that replace certain character sequences with
> equations or other graphics.
He might be the only one who has done this.
I have sent a query to Wolfram Research Technical Support to see if they
have more
details.

Hope this helps.

-Stewart, http://us.imdb.com/Name?Stewart+Dickson
Visualization Programmer, Beckman Institute - South Facility, Room 12
2100 S. Goodwin Urbana, IL 61801   http://www.isp.uiuc.edu/~sdickson
Ph: 217-333-3923 Fax: 217-244-1827
email: sdickson at illinois.edu
http://emsh.calarts.edu/~mathart/MathArt_siteMap.html