[Blindmath] Mathematica

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 27 09:07:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

To answer your second question and my favorite topic first, yes Human Readable TeX or HRTeX is easier to read at least for a beginner in LaTeX. In HRTeX format, only the symbols, equations, and formulae are in the LaTeX notation. If your sun intends to submit assignments in LaTeX, then he would need to learn the normal LaTeX format as well.
Whether LaTeX or HRTeX, it is important to proofread the final output. For example, InftyReader often mistakes W for \omega and 0 for \theta. Now, if some one who has no knowledge of how do the symbols may look like, she/ he might not be able to independently proofread the document.

You mention that your sun uses a Braille display. Does he have the ability to hear? I ask this because the creators of Mathematica have many websites built on the technology of Mathematica and the Mathematical expressions on them are all accessible with a screen reader.
Take a look at this website http://mathworld.wolfram.com/.

There has been some work done to sonify the graphs plotted by Mathematica through the use of software called the vOICe.
<http://www.seeingwithsound.com/winmath.htm>

Finally, you may also be interested in this presentation.
<http://river-valley.tv/mathematica-and-matlab/>

Regards

"In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life
is a long and arduous quest after Truth."
~ Mahatma Gandhi