[Blindmath] Unit Circle

Salisbury, Justin Mark SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu
Mon Dec 13 05:04:49 UTC 2010

Hi Jill,

   That circular geoboard that I showed you can help with the quadrants and many angles.  In order to find a product that will fit your daughter's needs, you'll need to know which angles she'll need on the tool.  There are infinitely many angles in every circle, and no fixed solid device is going to hold all angle measurements.  Once she comes to understand the concept of the basic trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) with a simple tactile device, such as the circular geoboard, she should be able to calculate any angle measurement she needs.  The point of this course is not to memorize too many angle measurements; your daughter will be learning how to calculate angle measurements from coordinates and coordinates from angle measurements.

    If you wish to give her a table of some of the trig functions for some of the most commonly used values, anyone fluent in Braille can transcribe that for her from a visual table, which is guaranteed to exist in the standard textbook if the students will need it.  Again, I think that the function of these tactile models will really be to teach her the concept of what she is doing and what it means.

Good luck!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Undergraduate Student
The University Honors Program
East Carolina University
salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."    -Aristotle