[Blindmath] Symbols in statistics

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Feb 7 20:50:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

First let me say that the request is unnecessary (you probably know
that), unreasonable and in the end isn't worth fighting over. Anal is
probably the least of the four letter words I might use for analwits
like this. Because NZ is so small, I can afford the luxury of making
personal phone calls to lecturers who have blind students. To date,
all my phone calls have resulted in reasonable accommodations. I am
fairly well known across Australia and use email to offer the same
thoughts to the staff there.

The symbols can be imported using MathType with LaTeX input - if you
have access to MathType that is. The LaTeX commands for the symbols
you need are fairly simple.

The Greek can be imported using standard fonts in Word. The problem
is the bar and tilda on top of the x and mu symbols.

If you don't have MathType, then the equation editor will do the job
for the sighted, and yes I go against all my principles and say that
using sighted assistance is the way to go. Keep the set of useful
symbols in a document that has been created with sighted assistance.
Make it read only once the help is sure you've got it right. This is
what I have done in the past and would continue to do if I used Word at all.

Once a look up table has been created you could investigate adding it
to the autocorrect file for Word. I started this but the plan lapsed
as I found another way of getting equations into power points (same
issue, different software) but I know it was working for the small
set of symbols I played with.

It might be worth showing your analwit professor that without some
fanangling, your screen reader will not identify the difference
between the two symbols for standard deviation in his document even
though one is Greek and the other is the standard letter s.

Jonathan

At 09:13 a.m. 8/02/2010, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>So I have an anal professor for my business stats course
>who wants the appropriate symbols in answers. sigma, x bar,
>sigma squared mu etc. He has sent me a document containing
>the symbols which I am attaching here. Short of switching
>documents and copying the symbols out each time, can these
>be generated from the keyboard in Word? I tried the US
>international keyboard layout which does have some of these
>but not all.
>
>Thanks,
>Shane

>for Blindmath:
>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/a.j.godfrey%40massey.ac.nz

_____
Dr A. Jonathan R. Godfrey
Lecturer in Statistics
Institute of Fundamental Sciences
Massey University
Palmerston North

Room: AH2.82
Phone: +64-6-356 9099 ext 7705
Mobile: +64-29-538-9814
Home Address: 22 Bond St, Palm. Nth.
Home Phone: +64-6-353 2224 (Just think FLEABAG)