[Blindmath] Future Engineering Student

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Mon Jan 4 16:21:48 UTC 2010

Hi.  I started my electrical engineering coursework at Iowa State
University 44 years ago.  The tools have changed a lot!

I would encourage you to check out the vOICe, because it may be useful in
some situations.  It can sonify practically anything you can put onto a
Windows PC, as long as the images are stationary or change slowly.  This
includes a function for sonifying the active window or the area around your
mouse pointer.  Do some of your ear training with a webcam, since you can
quickly present various images to it.  Stereo headphones are a must, also,
because the left-right panning can help you determine where various sounds
occur on the image.  The vOICe software is a tiny executable (as Windows
programs go) and has controls for adjusting zoom, contrast, scan rate, and
even the number of frequencies into which the vertical dimension of the
soundscape is mapped.  Dr. Meiger, who wrote this software starting nearly
20 years ago, is quite expert in psychoacoustics.  He has examples showing
how images can be sonified, then converted back to images in a spectrogram
fashion, with some loss of fidelity.

Having said all this, I don't use this software on a daily basis.

At 10:42 AM 1/2/2010, you wrote:
>Hi,
>  I was wondering if you could provide more information about #6 the
> vOICe. I have never heard of this product and given that I frequently
> work with spectrograms, I was curious if it will allow me to view them
> independently.
>Many thanks,
>Christine
>
>Christine M. Szostak
>Graduate Student
>Language Perception Laboratory
>Department of Psychology, Cognitive Area
>The Ohio State University
>Columbus, Ohio
>szostak.1 at osu.edu
>http://lpl.psy.ohio-state.edu
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Cooper" <matdawg17 at gmail.com>

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.