[Blindmath] Future Engineering Student

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 17:30:55 UTC 2010

Hi Christine and all,

Yes, the vOICe is a great sonification tool.
Here is the direct download link in case you can’t find it.
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/voice.exe

I would encourage you to explore the site as it provides a wealth of information not only about the vOICe, but the concept of utilizing auditory displays in general.

It can be used to plot functions over a defined range of X and Y and the resulting graph can then be sonified. The vOICe works with Mathematical packages like Mathematica, Octave, and I’m also interested in the possibility of using the vOICe in the R environment.
The site offers many tips on using it with different Mathematical software.

It can also identify colored parts of the figure for you. So if you are looking for say a red colored bar in a bar chart, you can use the color filter option (I haven’t fully explored this).

Dr. Peter Meijer, the developer of the vOICe, is extremely helpful. I have troubled him on several occasions on research topics that are not even related to the vOICe, and he has always responded.

Regards

"Markets are constantly in a state of uncertainty and flux and money is make by discounting the obvious and betting on the unexpected."
~ George Soros