[Blindmath] Linux

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Mon Jan 4 16:30:08 UTC 2010

You will get a number of Linux proponents on this e-mail list.  It takes
considerable effort to set up and learn to use, but it may be worth it,
depending on the direction your studies take.

In thinking about a list of useful software for engineering, don't overlook
Excel or other spreadsheet programs.  They are not Matlab or Mathematica,
but Excel works well with Windows screen readers and provides a wealth of
methods for manipulating and displaying numerical data.  Bookshare has a
book, a few years old now, about scientific and engineering uses of Excel.

At 02:35 PM 1/2/2010, you wrote:
>I have heard that Linux is something to consider using.  I have
>limited knowledge about this os and would love some information on how
>a blind person could use this.  Do screen readers, braille displays,
>and other devices work?  Thanks!      Matt

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.